• Accelerators are contextual services which quickly access a service from any webpage.
• Users often copy and paste from one webpage to another, but Internet Explorer 8 accelerators make this easier.
• Accelerators enable users to find information without leaving the current webpage.
With Accelerators, you can do tons of great things…
Share your life online with Blogger.
View maps and directions.
Send with Gmail.
Select content in other languages.
This is a simple sample that shows a map accelerator that you can host on a website
Host the install button: Add this code example to the website on which you want to advertise the accelerator.
To install XML-based Accelerators
To verify whether the user currently has the Accelerator installed.
Create the accelerator XML file: Copy the sample code below to a text editor and save it as “GetMap.xml”. This code below describes the functionality of the accelerator.
Map with MyGoogleMap
Map addresses easily with MyMap.
The root element of the OpenService Accelerator file is os:openServiceDescription. The xmlns attribute is required and must be http://www.microsoft.com/schemas/openservicedescription/1.0.
Required. The os:homepageUrl element defines the main URL of the Accelerator—where the user can access the service through browsing. All URLs declared in the OpenService Accelerator file must use the same domain as that of the os:homepageUrl.os:display
Required. The os:name of the Accelerator that is displayed to the user on the context menu. Accelerator names should lead with a verb followed by the service provider.
Optional. The os:icon element provides a URL to a 16 x 16 pixel icon for this Accelerator. The domain name used must match the os:homepageUrl.
Optional. The os:description element provides a longer description for the Accelerator that is displayed in the Manage Add-ons dialog box.
Required. The os:activity element contains all of the functionality of an Accelerator.os:activityAction – interaction with the accelerator.We have document,selection,link. Default Selection.
Optional. The os:preview element defines the content of the HTML window displayed when the user hovers over the Accelerator. It shares the same attributes and child elements as the os:execute element.
Required. The os:execute element specifies the main action triggered when the user invokes the Accelerator. Like os:preview, it can contain replacement variables in the action attribute or as separate os:parameter elements.
Optional. The os:parameter element provides an alternative way to express the values to use. The required name and value attributes define string inputs that are specific to the service and typically refer to Accelerator variables. See the Variables section for a list.
Test the accelerator:
• Install the accelerator by clicking Install on your website. This launches the installation dialog box.
• Select the Make this my default provider check box. This sets the accelerator to appear in the top listing.
• Go to a site that contains a street address.
• Select the address and click the button that appears next to the mouse cursor. (Alternatively, you can right-click to get the context menu.)
• Hover over the Map with MyGoogleMap accelerator. This displays the preview of the map accelerator.
• Click the Map with MyGoogleMap accelerator. This navigates to the map website in a new tab.