Organisations think SharePoint portal as a centralized place to get various information such as documents, news, team members, departments, etc.
At its core, an Intranet Portal is used to displaying information to business users and formal contents. For the majority of the organizations, SharePoint is just a common platform to come together to share information and communicate but the real motto is not only collaborating but being productive.
The only thing that makes any organization a successful one, only by choosing the right tools to achieve their goals. The productivity tools make business users lives well-organized, exciting, easier and more productive.
Let’s ask one question
The SharePoint Modern workplace may consist of the home page, Procedures, and manuals, corporate news or announcement but does it provide the relevant information as per the business users need or interest.
The motto of an organization is to provide push information through publishing, select collaboration tools, work together and smarter.
How to achieve
Organisations need to move towards a new world with three components.
1. Communicate using Communication Portals
2. Modern workplace for productive tools
3. Personalized workspace with Dashboard
In a real-world scenario, when you want to broadcast a message, share a story or publish the content for readers, or launch a product or service then the Communication site is for you. You also need to understand the various parameters while setting up the SharePoint intranet and extranet, the nature of the line of businesses, governance, content authors and quantity. We helped numerous organization to setup SharePoint intranet in accordance with their requirements, respective branding, and audience, so that they become more productive in a smart way.
Communication site can be used for Training, Policies and guidelines, a new initiative or marketing campaign and so on.
You can select any one of the templates to start with, nonetheless, you can add, remove, or rearrange web parts anytime.
Create a Communication site
1. Sign in to Office 365
2. In the top left corner of the page, select the app launcher icon and then select the SharePoint tile. If you don’t see the SharePoint tile, click the Sites tile or All if SharePoint is not visible.
3. At the top of the SharePoint home page, click + Create site and choose the Communication site option.
4. Select one of the following site designs:
- Topic to share information such as news, events, and other content.
- Showcase to use photos or images to showcase a product, team, or event.
- Blank to create your own design.
5. Give your new communication site a name and, in the Site description box, add some text that lets people know the purpose of your site.
6. Click Finish. Your site will be created and will appear on the sites you’re following. Your site will not inherit the permission settings or navigation of other sites.
Setting the Layout for Communication Site
The new layout section offers you to change the page layout for any of the site designs to display your content effectively.
Note: You can’t really disable Communication site creation unless you remove the Create site button from the SharePoint home.
While these are the high-level guidelines for helping you to choose the right type of site, however, richer capabilities and features are on its way in coming months. Our goal is you to keep you updated with the emerging changes, you can read our SharePoint Blogs or get our newsletter directly in your mailbox.
You can now use new modern site templates to make a digital workplace and leverage Communication sites for a global SharePoint intranet.
- Please look out for the next blog where I will be sharing more details on how to use this feature and the benefits.
- Like this blog or share your thoughts. Have you tried using this?
- This feature is still in preview and has been introduced for SharePoint online. If you are taking advantage of this for your intranet contact us.
- Add information about how this fits into the Microsoft
- Talk about how to do this without communication sites.