SharePoint project success is dependent on system adoption and feedback from users. These projects are often driven by one or two departments and tend to have more adoption challenges that other systems. Use the following five-point approach to have a higher success rate for your SharePoint project:
- Functional Design – Make the portal your own by giving it an identity. The design of the portal should reflect the way it is intended to be used.
- Make it Relevant – Ask the question of relevance first. Identify the users and ask why will this project be relevant to each role in the organization.
- Governance & Maintenance Plan – A portal that is updated is a portal that is interesting. Stakeholders assign responsibilities and should update the portal on a regular basis.
- Keep it Simple – Simple and quick updates often make the difference between a system that is used and a system that isn’t.
- Phased Approach – Keep risks low and provide small but regular updates to the system.